Tuesday, October 9, 2007

"My symptoms involve anxiety, depression, mood swings, appetite changes, in varying levels 7 - 10 days before my menstrual cycle"

I was about to partake in a controlled study to investigate the efficacy of the treatment of paxil (10-20 mg) in patients with premenstrual syndrome. I suffer from PMS, as millions of women do across the world. My symptoms involve anxiety, depression, mood swings, appetite changes, etc., in varying levels 7 - 10 days before my menstrual cycle. I have never subjected myself to prescribed drugs as I am an advocate of cognitive and/or herbal therapy over chemical therapy, however I was curious as to the effects of such chemical therapy and decided to volunteer as a candidate for this study.

Well I'm glad I did my research before starting the program!!! There seems to be an overwhelming majority whom have experienced negative effects and results from PAXIL! I am grateful for your responses as it warned me of the detrimental effects that this drug can cause, and as a result I have decided not to be a mule for the pharmaceutical companies!

An interesting fact...The sponsor behind this PMS study is the pharmaceutical maker SmithKline Beecham. They provide the doctors with the funding to do the research, knowing that if the results prove beneficial (even slight and/or short-term) then this drug will be overly prescribed to the millions of women who suffer from PMS, thus making the pharmaceutical company millions and millions of dollars in profit, and we will have a society of drug dependent women!!!!!!!!!!

There seems to be a cultural crusade to medicalize any trait - physical or behavioral - that does not measure up to the elusive ideals generated by pop culture, advertising, and the shifting moral and political norms. We have become a society that runs for a chemical relief for any little idiosyncrasy that we experience!

What do we do and where do we turn?

-- submitted by natalie, 32

No comments:

Post a Comment