Monday, September 8, 2008

Simple Tips: Unleash the Power of Positive Thinking

It’s Monday morning. Sanjay is edgy and worried. He has to make an important presentation in front of the top management team, for which he has been working through the weekend. He says to himself: "I am dreading this. What should I do? Will the top brass rip apart my presentation? Will I be able to answer their questions or not? May be they won’t like my presentation."


Sanjay is definitely making things difficult for himself by harboring negative thoughts in his mind. To make himself feel better all he has to do is some positive thinking. He should say to himself: "This presentation is going to go off well. I have worked hard on this and I know it is good. I know my work and I will be able to keep them interested."


Thinking positively will change your attitude and make you positive. It will help you cope with the pressure and the stress that is taking the toil on your body due to the constant reminder that you find a task difficult and you won’t be able to do it. You can become positive by constantly talking to yourself and motivating yourself. This is known as self-talk.


Self-Talk


This is a process of endless monologue, which you carry inside your head. It influences the way you perceive things and the message that you give to yourself. Self-talk can either be positive or negative. There are two ways at looking at every situation.


For Example:


Car problem on the way to office
" Damn this old car. I'll miss all my meetings. It's hopeless". You can change this to: " Bad time for a problem. Maybe if I call office and let someone know, they can start the meeting and I will join in as soon as possible."
Anticipation of a presentation
" What if I blow it? What if nobody laughs at the opening joke? What if they ask about…. I hate talking to groups." You can change this to: " This ought to be a challenge. I'll take a deep breath and relax. I am sure they will enjoy it. Each presentation goes a bit better. I know I am good and I can do it."

It is important to pay attention to the quality of your thoughts, because they determine how you feel during the day, how well you perform and how well you sleep at night. What positive thinking can do is to get you into the right frame of mind, to demonstrate your skills to the best of your advantage while you stay calm and focused. When you are relaxed you are likely to deal with problems more effectively and constructively. So a positive outlook is a must. When you think and tell yourself that you can, you will, and you must, notice the marked difference it will make in the job that you undertake.


Positive thoughts: Once you undertake a task tell yourself positive thoughts about:

You as a person:


I am good
I can cope
I am better than a whole lot of people
I can do this
Its not that bad after all
I have done more difficult things before
Use mental mantra's " I will…., I can…"
I am the best and I will achieve it
I can influence my destiny
I look and feel good
I enjoy my own company
I can succeed

About specific events:


I will succeed in this presentation
People will listen to me in this meeting
I am a little nervous, but I will relax
I can make a difference
I will achieve the result I want
I can win
Now get working and see the difference it will make in your life and work. Start now and get results today, for tomorrow might be too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment